You are here: Home / About Our Library / History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.
The History of the Woodbury County Library dates back to 1929 when the Moville Woman's Club offered to be the sponsor of a public library for Moville and surrounding areas.  Members donated one hundred books to start the Moville Public Library.  The library supplied 10 books for Kindergarten through Eighth grade each month. 

In 1943, because of rapid growth and interest, the Moville Public library asked the town council to assume responsibility for the growing needs.  A larger tax appropriation was accessed.

The Woodbury County Library headquarters were established in Moville in 1950.  Three years later they merged with the Moville Public Library.  This combined 4000 volumes.  The library rents a building on Main street and has over 50,000 volumes.  It now serves three branch libraries, several town libraries and deposits.  The staff consists of two full-time, three-part time and three branch part-time employees.

In 1951 the Woodbury County Library purchases a bookmobile, it served over 30 rural country schools, several eligible town schools and 2 town libraries.  Today seven schools in Woodbury County, home schooled families, assisted-living facility, and individual residents are serviced by the Woodbury County Library Bookmobile through the Woodbury County Library.

The Woodbury County library board consists of nine electors appointed by the Woodbury County Board of  Supervisors.

A bond issue was passed in October 2004 by the city of Moville to provide for a new Library/Community Center constructed on land that has been donated by a private individual.  The new library was complete in July 2006 and is located adjacent to the bike/walking trail just east of Moville.